How can we help you?

Am I covered to drive other cars?

You’re covered to drive any other car – third party only (any loss or damage to your car will not be covered) – as long as you:

  • have a Comprehensive policy (Third Party Fire and Theft cover does not include this option)
  • are the policyholder and main driver on the policy with us
  • are driving in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, The Channel Islands or the Isle of Man
  • don't own the car and don't have it on hire purchase
  • have the owner's express consent to drive it
  • still have your car and it isn't damaged beyond cost effective repair
  • were 25 or over when you bought or renewed your policy.

You also need to be covered for that type of car on your Insurance Certificate. And the car you wish to drive needs to:

  • be insured (by the vehicle owner)
  • be 13 years old or less
  • be worth £50,000 or less
  • not have significant modifications unless they were fitted from new and declared in the car's value or were made because of a disability.

You can find out more information on checking your Insurance Certificate, which you can download in the 'Documents' section of your My account.

If this article wasn't useful try searching again:
Couldn't find the answer you were looking for?
Contact us
Email is required!
Not valid email!
Something went wrong, please try again!
Email sent! Please allow a few minutes for the email to appear in your inbox.
Insurance is arranged by Aviva UK Digital Limited trading as General Accident. Registered in England No. 09766150. Registered Office: St Helen's, 1 Undershaft, London EC3P 3DQ. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Policies are underwritten and administered by Aviva Insurance Limited. Registered in Scotland, No. 2116. Registered Office: Pitheavlis, Perth PH2 0NH. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.