How can we help you?

My No claim discount years are different from what I entered on my quote

If you have more or less No claim discount (NCD) years than you stated when you initially set up your policy, you’ll need to upload your proof of NCD to your My account.

We’ll then check to see if this meets our criteria and change the NCD entitlement that you have on your policy – we’ll do this within 2 working days.

You should then receive an email from us confirming your new NCD entitlement and any change to your premium (if applicable).

If you’re eligible for a refund, this will be done automatically. If we can send your refund to your payment card, you’ll receive the refund within 5 working days. If we can’t send your refund to your payment card, we’ll send the refund by cheque within 10 working days.

If you need to pay an additional premium, you’ll be able to do this in your My account.

Please click here to find out how to upload your proof of NCD to your My account.

If this article wasn't useful try searching again:
Couldn't find the answer you were looking for?
Contact us
Email is required!
Not valid email!
Something went wrong, please try again!
Email sent! Please allow a few minutes for the email to appear in your inbox.